Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Turkey tacos!

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a good Thursday! My thursday was really like a Sunday since I work the whole weekend. But I did a lot today. Started off with a breakfast cookie and a coffee of course!
Mmm... no better way to start the day!! This breakfast cookie had the usual. 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 banana, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp almond butter, some cinnamon and some skim milk. Coffee was home brewed Tim Horton's with skim milk and some honey. After breakfast I went to the gym. I did about 3.5 miles on the treadmill with my usual running and walking on an incline. I think my endurance has been getting a lot better! After the tready I did some arm and ab exercises followed by some stretching. After the gym it was nearly 11:00 so I went to Blockbuster and rented Food Inc. I have been wanting to watch this forever so I finally had time to do it today. I got home threw a load of laundry in, showered and made lunch.

2 slices PB toast, steamed cauliflower and broccoli and scrambled egg whites with spinach and orange pepper smothered in ketchup of course!

I used my steamer for the veggies. I love steaming veggies but for some reason I rarely ever do it. I pulled the steamer out of the storage room and left it out in the kitchen so I'll use it more... hopefully. After lunch I watched Food Inc. This movie is soooo good! Really sad though, I cried in a few parts. Especially when they show the little chicks. Honestly, what is this world coming to? I don't even understand how people are getting away with this. Definetely might be turned off meat for a bit (except for tonights dinner of course!). After the movie I went on to do some homework. Learned more about surgical instruments and how much they're worth. Some instruments (like basic scissors) cost around $200. That's insane!! But, we do need the highest quality instruments during surgical procedures! I also had this snack while studying:

1 kiwi and 1/2 banana

This kept me good until supper where I made some delicious turkey tacos!



 2 ezekiel corn tortillas with turkey taco mix, organic salsa, tomatoes, spinach and a bit of shredded cheese. Spinach sald with cucumbers, tomatoes, peas, orange peppers and radishes.

These turkey tacos tasted exactly like when I ate tacos in Cancun! They were quite easy to make! I just used 1 lb ground turkey, half an onion, 1 garlic clove and some low sodium taco seasoning. I made 2 servings for this weekends lunches at work and froze 2 more. I made half a cup equal one serving which was enough for 2 tortillas.

After supper I wanted to try a recipe I found on http://www.oxygenmag.com/ for muffins. I made a few alterations but they were really good.

Energy muffins!

Heres the recipe:
2 cups egg whites (I just used 4 eggs)
1 and a half cups quick oatmeal
Half cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup cottage cheese
Half cup whey protein powder (I used quarter cup of my greens protein powder-thats why theyre a bit green)
1 and half teaspoon baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup strawberries (I used 1 cup fieldberries, some blackberries, and topped with diced strawberries)

Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Pour ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Mix in fruit by hand, if desired, or include in the blender. Pour into regular-sized stick-free muffin cups. Cook until toothpick comes out clean (about 40 minutes).

These are really good. Try them out!

After my baking adventure I watched my Philadelphia Flyers kick some a** against the Dallas Stars. Our regular goalie is out indefinetely, our backup goalie is out 8-10 weeks so now were going with the backup backup goalie! He did pretty good though so Im quite happy! Anyways, now Im watching 90210 (I freakin love this show!) and going to head to bed soon. Have a lovely night!!

1 comment:

  1. those green muffins would have been perfect for yesterday!! $200 scissors...yeesh. but true, i don't want some dollar store scissors snipping into me lol

    ReplyDelete